How do you recognise a sick cockatoo?
A cockatoo is sick if you can notice one or more of these symptoms:
The cockatoo is…
- displaying a slowed response to what’s happening around him
- keeping his feathers puffed up
- keeping his eyes closed or sleeps a lot
- having fluid running from its nose
- having fluid or slime next to eyes or nose
- breathing with noticable sound
- refusing to eat
- skinny or is losing weight
If you are looking into buying a cockatoo that shows one or more of these symptoms, it is better to wait with the purchase until the problems have cleared. Buying a sick cockatoo will only give you heartache and trouble. It can also be very expensive to find treatment for the bird.
Some symptoms on the list are worst than others. When a cockatoo refuses to eat or drink or is very apathic, you should consult a vet as soon as possible.